Director of Policy
Q. Tell everyone a little bit about yourself and your role at Innovate Finance
A. My job is to give UK FinTech a powerful voice with government and regulators, to help shape policies, regulation and understanding of FinTech, and to provide our members with insights on policy and regulatory developments.
I have spent 20 years in government, advising Ministers on scale-ups, start-ups and business finance; and 10 years in the private sector, including advising financial and professional services on sustainability, strategy and politics.
Q. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time away from work?
- Fresh air: gardening and walking the dogs.
- Food and drink: eating out and, particularly the last 18 months, eating in.
- Post-punk and indie music: gigs and reading band memoirs (again, more of the latter recently).
- Plus I run the social media for my dad’s art: https://www.instagram.com/ArtMikeJackson/
Q. What are some of your favourite things about working in FinTech?
- Purpose: I am passionate about purpose in business; and in FinTech most businesses are purpose-led, set up to make the world a better place. Just last week, at our inaugural Fintech for Good Forum, it was thrilling to hear so many people talking about how tackling societal and environmental issues is core to their business model.
- People: Just looking round the room at the forum I had a strong feeling that these were ‘my people’ – more than other sectors I’ve worked in, people are able to be themselves at work and not feel bound to conform to particular conceptions. That makes for a truly innovative environment –another big motivation for me.
- Policy: I am a policy geek and there is so much policy in the FinTech world – across economic growth, levelling up, global trade, investment, skills and social inclusion, climate change and regulation.
Q. You can invite any 3 people to your dinner party. Who do you choose and why?
- My wife – my hero and the person I most want to enjoy food and conversation with.
- Our two dogs – lively little scruffs who are the most entertaining company and at a dinner party will be happy with tinned food and biscuits.